For most of us, area rugs represent a crucial element of home decor. They add color to our rooms and make them feel warmer and cozier. With a few cushions, they’re great for when you’re throwing a slumber party, organizing a movie night, or playing a game.
However, since they’re essentially a part of the floor, area rugs gather a lot of dust, dirt, and pet hair, and are often on the receiving end of spills and other accidents. Needless to say, regularly cleaning your area rugs, or having them cleaned by a reputable maid service in Brookhaven, is absolutely vital if you want them to last for years.
We previously wrote about the secrets of black furniture cleaning and how to keep your toilet bowls pristine and hygienic. Now we’ll give you some pointers on how to ensure your area rugs remain soft and spotless at all times. Keep reading to learn more.
How can I clean my rug at home?
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of area rug cleaning, it’s worth pointing out that, unless you’re a professional cleaner who has access to expert-level tools, you’re likely not going to be able to give your rug a 100% perfect cleaning.
This is important to know because area rugs can carry toxins, molds, and allergy-inducing dust mites. These things can’t be removed with a simple vacuuming, and pose extra danger to pets, children, and individuals who struggle with chronic respiratory diseases. If any of this applies to your household, consider outsourcing your rug cleaning to the pros.
Here’s how to clean your area rug:
- Step #1: Give both sides of the area rug a thorough vacuuming,
- Step #2: Buy a good rug cleaner and follow the mixing instructions on the bottle. Test the mixture on an inconspicuous spot on the rug (such as on the underside, or a corner) to ensure it won’t ruin the colors,
- Step #3: Scrub the detergent into the rug using a brush or a sponge, and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing it out,
- Step #4: Take the rug out into the garden and rinse it off using a garden hose,
- Step #5: Remove any excess water using a squeegee,
- Step #6: Lay the rug flat and let the top side dry completely, then flip it over and let the bottom dry out as well,
- Step #7: Finish the cleaning by giving your area rug another good vacuuming to loosen up its fibers.
Can you shampoo an area rug?
Absolutely. Simply lay your rug down on a deck or a tarp, and make sure there’s a garden hose nearby. After that, simply follow the directions on your shampoo of choice, and remember to spot-test it to make sure it won’t cause the colors on your rug to bleed.
If you have a small rug or carpet, don’t forget that you can also fold it up and put it in the washing machine. Use a cold setting on a mild cycle, and give it time to air-dry afterward.
Where can I book the leading maid service in Brookhaven?
Does all of the above sound like a huge hassle? That’s because it is. The reality is that most area rugs are large and cumbersome, and that not everyone has enough space or even the time necessary to properly deep clean a large area rug. Luckily for you, you don’t have to do it yourself!
At The Moxie Maids, we work with the premier cleaning experts in Brookhaven. They will happily deep clean your area rugs, degrease your stove, and attend to your other cleaning needs while you enjoy some quality time with your friends at one of Town Brookhaven‘s cafes. Schedule your cleaning today.