Summer is ending, and for many, even the holidays are over. The days are getting shorter and the time you spend inside your home will increase, perhaps in the company of friends or relatives enjoying events around Atlanta.
Before the arrival of winter, however, fall house cleaning is essential to have a house ready to welcome the coldest season of the year.
Household cleaning is a daily activity, but there are times of the year when it is necessary to intensify these activities and carry out deep and fine house cleaning. Before proceeding, it is always better to organize the house cleaning and plan the different activities to be done systematically, room by room. Therefore, we’ve created this fall deep home cleaning Checklist to make your life easier.
Why Deep Clean in the Fall?
Deep cleaning in the fall can help improve your indoor air quality. When you’re spending more time inside, it’s essential to make sure that the air you’re breathing is as clean as possible. Dust mites, pet dander, and other allergens can build up over time, causing problems for people with asthma or allergies. A deep clean can help remove these allergens and improve indoor air quality.
Taking the time to clean now will pay off later when winter comes, and you don’t have to worry about dealing with melted snow and mud tracking through your house. Plus, if you have any holiday visitors, you’ll want your home sparkling clean before they arrive.
The holidays can be hectic, and the last thing you want to deal with is a messy house on top of everything else. Getting a head start on your holiday preparation by deep cleaning will help reduce your stress levels later.
Fall Deep Home Cleaning Checklist 2022
Having a plan and a checklist is always the best way to approach any big cleaning project. This fall deep home cleaning checklist will help you clean your home from top to bottom so you can enjoy the season worry-free.
The Living room
The living room/dining room is one of the most important rooms in our home because that is where we spend our moments with the family, and cleaning this environment is a priority.
- Clean the windows: We often ignore them while cleaning our home, but believe it or not, they are the first to get the dirtiest, so cleaning them is a must. Use a detergent and a damp microfiber cloth to make the glass shine inside and outside.
- Furniture: Now move on to the table, chairs and glass tops, and furniture present, taking care to use specific products, both for the care and the cleaning performance, in reference to the material in which they are made.
- Clean the curtains on the windows: A clean window does not look clean even if the curtains are not; once done, the result will be shining and the semblance of a brighter corner, not to mention the valuable and eventual amount of grease, smoke, and dust that you will rid your lungs of.
- Dust off lamps: Most of us ignore cleaning the light points in a room. The lamps, bedside lamps, wall lights, and curtains tend to capture and become one with dust and grease. Be patient, and you can gently give new life to your chandeliers.
- Oil the hinges: During the winter, the hinges of doors and furniture doors tend to shrink, and when you try to open or close them, they start a not-exactly melodious symphony. Therefore, before winter comes, it will be better to apply oil to the door hinges.
- Clean the walls: Cleaning the walls is not very simple because you will have to understand the material of your paint and then use the right products. Cleaning the walls includes dusting, washing, and rinsing.
- Upholstery (Sofa, pouf, rugs, and more): Even if you are in perfect health, it is always better to clean the rugs and upholstery of your sofa because you never know what you might find. Wash the sofa covers, vacuum the cushions, and don’t forget to treat any stains.
Cleaning the bathroom is a delicate task and cannot be improvised. A bathroom is where we spend a few minutes every day, but where many bacteria accumulate and dirtiness can be easily seen. For this reason, cleaning the bathroom thoroughly, at least once a week, is essential.
- Clean Sanitary: Toilet cleaning products are readily available in the markets, so you can easily use them to clean your toilets. But if you want to clean your toilet naturally, you can use vinegar or baking soda.
- Replace or wash shower curtains (if any): Some people use a curtain to separate the toilet from the bathing area. So, if you have a shower curtain in your bathroom, replace it or wash it to keep it clean and bacteria-free.
- Shower: The shower is one of the places where we spend most of our time in the bathroom, so it is very important to keep it clean. You can use a natural cleaner like vinegar or baking soda to clean the shower.
- Clean the garbage disposal: Every time we use the garbage disposal, some particles get stuck in it. So, it is very important to clean the garbage disposal regularly to keep it working properly.
- Bathtub: With too much use, the bathtub tends to become dirty and stained. You can use a suitable cleaner available on the market to clean it.
- The tiles (both on the wall and the floor): Cleaning the bathroom tiles is a must; we all know that. So, use all the products on the market to clean them, or you can also make natural products to clean them.
If you want a warm winter and a good night’s sleep, cleaning your bedroom should be an essential part of fall cleaning. Here’s what you should clean in the bedroom.
- Cleaning and treatment of the windows: Like for the living room, even in the bedroom, this important operation must be carried out with care and dedication; this will make your room free of dust which, especially at night, is essential to breathe healthy air. Now move on to the sheets, pillowcases, mattress covers, and pillows, which must first be ventilated and then washed at 60° with a disinfectant, then left to dry in the last solar heat.
- Clean the closet: Surely you will be struggling with the seasonal change of clothes (again…). Therefore, before placing a new pile of clothes in the closet, take the opportunity to carefully clean the closet, placing the summer clothes in airtight bags, removing the dust from the shelves, and placing cedar balls or lavender sachets inside to perfume your closet.
- Clean the walls: Just like for the living room, you will also need to dust and wash your bedroom walls. Use the right products for your paint and don’t forget to rinse.
- Cleaning the carpets: The carpets are one of the places where dust and dirt accumulate the most. So, before winter comes, it will be better to vacuum them and wash them with a suitable product.
- Clean the lights and fans: Your bedroom lights and fans will have become a receptacle for dust, so cleaning them is very important.
You can read the deep cleaning tips on the bedroom here.
It is the heart of your home, the place where you cook and eat, so it is very important to keep it clean.
- Clean appliances: Cleaning appliances is a must because we use them almost regularly; therefore, use a liquid detergent to clean both the inside and the outside of the appliances, paying particular attention to places where food is present, especially the refrigerator and oven.
- Cleaning the splash guards: This is the part that suffers covered with a lot of stubborn stains, mostly greasy or greasy. Therefore, cleaning is also essential to eliminate bad smells of old oil, which can hover throughout the house due to the proximity of the living room.
- Clean the lockers: Include cleaning kitchen cabinets in your fall checklist (they can prove to be very unhygienic places in the long run), so that no parasitic infestation can invade your wall cabinet.
- Wash the sink: Use a good amount of liquid detergent to cover all the dirt accumulated over time in the drain holes, let it act for a few minutes, and then rinse with hot water.
- Wash the floor: Regular cleaning of the floor is very important because a kitchen is where food is prepared, so it is essential to have a clean and disinfected floor.
You can also read the deep cleaning tips on the kitchen here.
The Patio and Lawn
Even the exteriors are an integral part of your home, so a look at the patio and the preparation for winter should be given. In the lawn, mow the grass, rake leaves, and fertilize the lawn.
- Thoroughly clean the patio furniture: To clean patio furniture, you can use a high-pressure washer or special products for outdoor furniture. Also, place the protective sheets on the sofas and armchairs to protect them from rain, snow, and frost.
- Remove the algae from the walls: The walls of your house will probably be covered with algae, so it is important to clean them in order to avoid the proliferation of mold.
- Clean lawn equipment: To clean the garden and lawn tools, such as spades and forks, you can use a wire brush and then rinse with water.
The laundry room is the most undervalued room in the house, but essential for our daily life. This is where we wash our clothes, and it is very important to keep them clean so that the washing is perfect and our clothes last longer.
- Cleaning the washing machine: The washing machine is one of the appliances that we use most, so it is very important to clean it frequently, both on the outside and the inside. In fact, over time, the washing machine can become a real nest of bacteria and dirt, which is why it is essential to clean it thoroughly at least once a month.
- Cleaning the laundry room: All the dirt that accumulates on our clothes ends up in the laundry room, so this must be kept clean and tidy. Wipe the walls, mop the floor and clean the windows, ensuring no cobwebs or dirt accumulate in any corner.
- Clean dryer vent: The dryer is one of the most used appliances in the laundry room, and, like the washing machine, it is very important to clean it frequently. In addition to cleaning the outside of the dryer, it is also important to clean the vent, which can become clogged with lint over time.
- Organize laundry cleaning supplies: Finally, it is important to organize all the laundry products so they are always at hand and in order, thus avoiding chaos and dirt.
The first impression is the last impression;. In our house, the entryway is the first thing our guests see. Therefore, keeping it clean and tidy, free of dirt and dust, is important.
- Sweep and mop floors: The first thing to do is sweep and mop the floor, making sure that no dirt or dust accumulates in any corner.
- Wipe walls and doors: Walls are more prone to dirt and dust, so it is important to wipe them frequently. The same goes for doors, which must be kept clean and fingerprint-free.
- Organize shoes and umbrellas: Shoes and umbrellas usually make the entryway messy, so it is important to organize them in a place where they can be easily accessed.
- Hang up fall jackets, hats, or scarves: As the weather gets colder, it is important to hang up fall jackets, hats, or scarves in the entryway, so that they are always at hand when you need them.
- Clean doormat: The doormat is the first thing our guests see, so it is important to keep it clean and free of dirt.
Products and Equipment You’ll Need
Ready to make all the rooms in the house shine? To complete this task in the best possible way, you need some products and detergents to be distinguished according to the various rooms in the house. Here is what you need:
- Dish soap
- Dishwasher gel or tablets
- Salt for the dishwasher
- Rinse aid for the dishwasher
- Soap scum
- Surface cleaner (Better if sprayed)
- Surface sanitizing detergent
- Limescale remover for taps
- Toilet sanitizing tablets
- Carpet cleaner
- Parquet detergent
- Tile cleaner
- Depending on the material, the carpets will be washed with specific products
Detergents for the Bedroom
- Multi-surface dust spray
- Descaler where needed
For glass, there are special products that will help (with appropriate elbow grease) to remove marks, fingerprints, dust, and everything else from the windows. A handy glass cleaner is always good to have at home.
Here’s a guide to cleaning your mirror to perfection from a cleaning expert.
- Kitchen sponges
- Bath sponges
- Abrasive sponges for the kitchen
- Abrasive sponges for the bathroom
- Rubber gloves
- Cleaning cloths
- Damp cloth
- Sanitary cloths
- Cloth for cleaning floors
- Toilet brush
- Scrub brush
- Broom (If you don’t have a vacuum cleaner)
- Vacuum Cleaner
- Washing machine
Attention to the Environment
Cleaning the house not only means making it more beautiful and fragrant but also taking care of our health and of the environment. In fact, many of the products we use to clean our homes are harmful to both our health and the environment. Therefore, it is important to be careful in their use and, where possible, prefer natural products.
Also, keep an eye on the labels: some products indicate whether they include or lack elements hazardous to the environment and aquatic life.
Also Read: 6 Expert Tips for an Easy Fall Declutter
Here Are Some Extra Tips For Your Cleaning Success
- Slow and steady: As with organizing projects, we recommend you dedicate one day per room, so you don’t get exhausted and give up.
- Like clockwork: Always start cleaning from the top down and start from the left side of the door, working like the clock hand, until you reach the door. This ensures that you don’t forget a part of the space.
- Plan meals: Both for you and your family, for the days you will do this cleaning. So, you don’t have to stop to cook in the middle of the workday, or you don’t eat properly.
- Write down everything: As you clean, you will identify many things that will need to be done, such as small repairs, a touch-up on the paint, parts that need to be replaced, etc. Keep a clipboard with a pen and paper with you, but don’t be distracted by these details. Write it down and move on. They must be done after the tasks listed below, or you will never finish!
Let Your Home Sparkle This Fall
If you’re planning your fall cleanup, we’re sure this fall cleanup checklist can go a long way in keeping track of what you need to clean and slowly tick the tasks you already have (proudly) done.
If you’re still skeptical of these tips or don’t have time to handle many tasks, hire a team of professionals who offer comprehensive home cleaning service.
Contact our cleaning company in Atlanta, GA, for professional deep house cleaning services, allowing you to enjoy every environment better and enjoy the whole winter season in serenity and safety. During the year, after our cleaning of the house, it will be easier for you to keep it clean, with little effort and in a short time. Call us now for a free, no-obligation quote.