Many people today feel that curtains are outdated and that shades and blinds are the future. We respectfully disagree! Curtains are the only type of window covering that simultaneously looks lovely, contributes to the warmth of a room, and protects our privacy when the windows are open. They won’t be leaving our homes anytime soon!
However, because of their size and the fact they’re made of fabric, curtains require a more thorough cleaning approach than other types of window covering. They’re also more prone to getting dirty as a result of spills and other accidents.
In this article, we’ll answer some common curtain cleaning questions. We’ll also tell you where you can find a superb cleaning service in Chamblee, so you won’t even need to google “house cleaning near me” if you decide to outsource your curtain-washing to the pros. Read on!
Should curtains be washed?
Curtains are made of fabric and all fabrics have a tendency to absorb odors and collect dust. Not only will this eventually make your curtains look dirty and give them a stale smell, but it may also contain all sorts of harmful allergens, toxins, and even harmful residential mold.
Whether your curtains can be washed depends on what type of material they’re made of. Your curtains should have a label on them somewhere that contains cleaning instructions. If your curtains are fully machine-washable, you can simply put them into a washing machine and run them through a gentle wash cycle.
If, however, your curtains are made of linen, silk, or some other sensitive fabric, you’ll need to take them to the dry cleaners. This is because detergent, hot water, and the rubbing inside the washing machine can easily ruin the material the curtains are made of.
How often should curtains be washed?
Unlike hardwood floor vacuuming, glassware polishing, and countertop wiping, curtains only really need to be washed once every 3-6 months. That being said, there are certain factors that can make it necessary to wash your curtains more often.
These factors include:
- Location. Being close to a construction site, major roads, or very dry areas can make the wind carry a lot more dust than usual. This will naturally cause your curtains to get dirty faster. Luckily for you, this isn’t a common problem in Chamblee.
- Weather. Strong winds carry all sorts of grime, while muddy rain can leave visible stains on the fabric. The best way to prevent this is to either close your windows (which may not be realistic during summer or if you live in a hot climate) or only keep them slightly open.
- Accidents. Pets and small children are the enemy of curtains everywhere. If your curtains are very long, there’s a high chance one of your kids will scrawl on them or touch them with dirty hands while playing. What’s more, cat and dog hair tends to stick to fabric, and can easily make your curtains look like they’re shedding fur.
How do you wash curtains without taking them down?
When it comes to curtain cleaning, nothing can replace a good washing or dry cleaning. That being said, there are still ways to give your curtains a pretty good cleaning without having to take them down.
Do the following:
- Vacuum the curtains thoroughly;
- Shake them out (you’ll need a ladder or someone to hold them steady for you);
- Brush away tiny fibers;
- If the curtains are stained or greasy, use a steam cleaner.
Where can I book the finest house cleaning near me?
If you lack the time to clean or you feel it’s better spent enjoying your hobbies or relaxing at Clairmont Park, don’t hesitate to call The Moxie Maids. There’s nothing better than having your home cleaned by the top cleaners in Chamblee and we’ll be more than happy to send them right to your doorstep. We work with insured and bonded cleaning pros who are fully dedicated to making your home sparkle.
Reach out to us today and we’ll arrange your cleaning appointment. We’ll put a smile on your face before you know it!