Glass is one of the most common materials in any home. We drink and eat our food out of it, it’s the primary material in windows, and it’s used for decorative purposes. Unfortunately, while this shiny, transparent material is both useful and pretty, any stains or dust on it are extremely obvious.
Needless to say, learning how to clean glass like an expert is vital if you don’t want to be looking out through fogged windows or making yourself sick by eating or drinking out of dirty glasses.
“Isn’t using a window cleaner and putting glasses in the dishwasher enough?” we hear you ask. “Can a reputable maid service near me clean my windows as well?” Read on to learn the answers to these common glass-cleaning questions.
What is the best way to clean glass?
How you clean glass depends largely on what type of glass it is and what it’s used for. Knowing the right cleaning approach and what type of cleaning products to use will both save you time and achieve the best results.
Drinkware and tableware cleaning
Unlike dirty hardwood floors, cluttered countertops, or dusty curtains, drinkware and tableware come in direct contact with the food you eat and the beverages you drink. Grimy glassware not only looks bad, but can also make you or another member of your household sick.
A good dishwashing machine and quality dishwashing soap is a must for everyday cleaning. However, certain types of glass (such as crystal) should only be cleaned by hand to prevent damage.
The most effective way to clean crystal glassware:
- Step #1: Line a sink with a soft cloth or dishtowel to prevent breaks or cracks. Fill the sink with warm water.
- Step #2: Wash the glasses out one at a time using a mild detergent.
- Step #3: Rinse the glasses with a water-vinegar solution and sanitize.
- Start by putting towels under the windows to catch any dripping water.
- Mix 4-parts water and one-part white vinegar to make a cleaning solution, or use a commercial window cleaner of your choice.
- Once you’ve sprayed the glass with the cleaner, use a microfiber towel or cotton cloth to wipe down the glass. Wring out excess liquid.
- Wipe the glass using circular motions, followed by vertical strokes. Finish off with horizontal strokes.
- Clean the corners using a cotton swab or a soft toothbrush.
- Buff the glass with a piece of newspaper or an old shirt.
Oven glass cleaning
- Use a damp cloth to loosen and gather the crumbs and other debris that may have gathered on the glass.
- Make a cream-like paste using baking soda (half a cup) and a little water. Spread this paste over the oven glass and let it sit for fifteen minutes.
- Scrub the glass clean using a microfiber cloth or a wet rag.
- Wash the glass with water to remove the baking soda mixture.
- Dry the glass with a cloth.
- If any tough grease spots remain, you can remove them with a razor. Just be careful not to scratch the glass.
How do you prevent water spots on glass?
The easiest way to keep your glass surfaces sparkling clean is to treat them with cleaning products that are designed to repel water from glass surfaces. Various glass shops in Chamblee also sell items that have been treated with a special easy-to-clean coating.
Where can I find the best maid service near me?
You’ve already found it! The Moxie Maids specializes in sending the very finest maids in Chamblee straight to your doorstep. They will happily deal with the mess and make your glassware sparkle while you kick back and enjoy a thrilling book you rented from the Chamblee Library.
Book a cleaning today. Your home will be squeaky clean in no time!